The Jack Petchey Achievement Award scheme is very popular with over 1000 schools and clubs participating. Over £2 million is allocated to this scheme every year. Participating clubs select one young person (aged 11-25) to receive an achievement award with the winner receiving a framed certificate and £250 to be spent within the club. Thurrock Harriers is part of the Silver Award Scheme therefore are awarder 6 awards throughout the year. The money must be spent on items the winner feels will benefit the club, not the individual. Examples of purchases include tickets to International Athletic Competitions, AED fully automated defibrillator, blue benches and Bins and Plyometric training equipment.
Every 6 weeks, members of the club are invited to make suggestions for the recipient of the award. To win the award the recipient does not have to be the fastest or best athlete. They do need to be exceptionally hard working or to have done something really positive for other people and the club. It is especially important that the younger members of the club nominate athletes for this as well as parents, coaches and older members. Once nominations have been collected, the recipient will be chosen by the committee. The Jack Petchey co-coordinator will inform the recipient that they have won the award. The recipient will be presented with the certificate, and decide how they would like the money spent. All members of the club are encouraged to come up with ideas to go on a 'wish list' of items they feel will benefit the club, although ultimately it is the recipient's choice of how the money is spent.HOW YOU CAN HELP
- All club members are encouraged to nominate young athletes (aged 11-25) for the monthly award. Nomination forms will also be available in the clubroom, next to the Jack Petchey box.
- Nominate items to go on the club wish list by emailing me at the address below or letting your coach know. There are restrictions on what the money can be used for, though not many! If you are not sure whether something is eligible for the wish list then nominate it anyway and our area grants officer can confirm if it is appropriate or not.
- Check out our 'Hall of Fame'! All our previous winners, and a photo of our latest winner are listed on our Winners page's.
- Unfortunately you cannot nominate previous winners of the award, for a list of previous winners visit our winners page in the Jack Petchey section.
- Visit the Jack Petchey website: http://www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.uk to find out more about the scheme.
This is a fantastic opportunity for Thurrock Harriers to recognise Young Athletes of the club who have achieved something significant for themselves and the club. If you have any further questions about the scheme feel free to ask myself or visit the excellent website.
Jack Petchey Scheme email@example.com